Why Choose Southeast Veterinary Neurology for Your Pet?
What is Veterinary Neurology?
Neurology is the study of the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. The nervous system has many functions including: memory, behavior, emotion and reasoning; senses such as vision, hearing, taste and touch; maintaining level of consciousness; coordinating vital functions such as breathing and digestion; maintaining balance; and strength and coordination. When the nervous system malfunctions, symptoms may include seizures, being off balance, inability or difficulty walking, incoordination, pain, blindness, and changes in behavior.
Why does my Pet need a Veterinary Neurologist?
Veterinary Neurologists are veterinary specialists with specialized training and expertise in diseases affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. Board-certified neurologists spend an additional 3-5 years after veterinary school studying neurology, neurosurgery and advanced imaging. Some problems and diseases that veterinary neurologists have expertise in include:
- Seizures due to metabolic problems or structural problems within the brain such as brain tumors, strokes, encephalitis, hydrocephalus and others.
- Balance problems due to inner ear infections, strokes, encephalitis, idiopathic conditions, toxicities, malformations and others.
- Spinal cord problems such as intervertebral disk disease, myelitis, degenerative myelopathy, fibrocartilagenous embolism, non-compressive nucleus pulposus extrusion, atlantoaxial instability, spinal fractures, constrictive myelopathy, spinal cord tumors and others. These diseases may cause pain, incoordination, scuffing or crossing of the paws, or complete inability to use one or more limbs.
- Problems affecting the nerves and muscles such as myasthenia gravis, tick paralysis, botulism, myositis and others. These conditions may cause inability to walk, exercise intolerance, weakness, difficulty swallowing or regurgitation.
Why should you choose Southeast Veterinary Neurology for all of your pet’s neurological needs?
- AVAILABILITY. Many neurological conditions are emergencies or are of an urgent nature. We understand this, so our neurologists and staff are available to you, your pet and your veterinarian whenever you need us. We are the only team of board-certified neurologists in South Florida. By having multiple board-certified neurologists, your pet will never have to wait to be evaluated by an expert in neurology.
- EXPERTISE. Our doctors are board-certified neurologists. We ONLY treat conditions of the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. There are only 250 board-certified veterinary neurologists in all of North America. We are the only board-certified veterinary neurologists in Miami. Board certification in neurology by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine ensures the highest level of training, experience and expertise in Neurology and Neurosurgery. All of our neurologists passed their certifying examination on the first attempt. Only 1 in 3 neurologists accomplish this.
- SURGICAL EXPERIENCE. Our neurologists have received extensive training in neurosurgery. We exclusively perform surgery of the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. This specialized approach means that our neurosurgeons perform procedures every day that other surgeons may only perform on occasion. Our team has performed thousands of neurosurgical procedures with over a 95% success rate.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY. Since we only treat neurological conditions, our equipment is exceptionally chosen and optimized to be the most advanced for veterinary neurology in South Florida. We utilize the only on-site 1.5 Tesla MRI south of Gainesville. This is the most powerful MRI being used for animals. We also have in-house multislice CT, ultrasonic aspirators for removal of brain tumors, electrodiagnostic equipment for evaluating hearing and muscle and nerve disease, specialized equipment for managing spinal fractures, fluoroscopy and intraoperative navigation (coming soon!).
- OUR TEAM. Every member of our team is selected for their dedication to patients, commitment to excellence, attention to detail and empathy toward pet owners. Our neurologists are experts. Most of our technicians certified or registered veterinary technicians. Most have more than 10 years of veterinary experience. Some of our technicians are among the small group of technicians with Specialty Certification in Veterinary Neurology or Certified in Veterinary MRI.
- OUR FACILITY. Our recently-constructed facility is home to all of this! Every detail of the hospital’s design was made to optimize care for the patient and pet owner. From the comfortable beds our patients rest in, the state-of-the-art operating rooms, the teaching library and the most advanced diagnostics in south Florida–Our focus is making your pet well!